OK, I know I haven't blogged in a while, I'll get to the catch up in another blog, right now I feel the need to publicly express my distaste for John Mayer's song "Waiting for the World to Change".
I have a very love/hate relationship (mostly hate) with this song. The musical portion is awesome, I love it, it feels great, it sounds great if only it had different words.
What are the words you ask? Here, here they are:
Waiting On The World To Change
me and all my friends we're all misunderstood
they say we stand for nothing and there's no way we ever could
now we see everything that's going wrong with the world and those who lead it
we just feel like we don't have the means to rise above and beat it
so we keep waiting waiting on the world to change
we keep on waiting waiting on the world to change
it's hard to beat the system when we're standing at a distance
so we keep waiting waiting on the world to change
now if we had the power to bring our neighbors home from war
they would have never missed a Christmas no more ribbons on their door
and when you trust your television what you get is what you got
cause when they own the information, oh they can bend it all they want
that's why we're waiting waiting on the world to change
we keep on waiting waiting on the world to change
it's not that we don't care, we just know that the fight ain't fair
so we keep on waiting waiting on the world to change
and we're still waiting waiting on the world to change
we keep on waiting waiting on the world to change
one day our generation is gonna rule the population
so we keep on waiting waiting on the world to change
we keep on waiting waiting on the world to change
Someone on some other site cited John Mayer as "a piece of Karma" and likened him to John Lennon. Oh lord, get off the pipe hippie.
I will make my admission now, I was idealistic and very liberal as a youth. Not so much anymore. Make no mistake, I'm not a member of the Christian Coalition or anything. I would call myself a middle of the road kind of person. I am pro choice (not pro abortion, but I don't feel I can tell someone else to do with their situation), pro gay marriage (why would I want to discourage ANY kind of monogomous, caring relationship this day in age?) and all for figuring out some kind of health care system that will help to cover as many people as possible, while still holding the standard of health care and research available in this country. Though I am AGAINST increased taxes (Ithink I can better utilize the money I make, or at least my husband can), FOR a more privatized social security plan (again see former comment), and somewhat hawkish on the stance of illegal immigration and national security (before you go throwing around "what do you know" I know plenty, my parents were immigrants [Yes legal]). Anyway I digress, in summation, I am more middle of the road than anything else. This song by John Mayer, pains me, it makes my brain hurt with its complete apathy and lack of accountability. like I said I love the tune, its lyrics I despise.
In the first stanza he cites how he is so misunderstood.....blah blah blah. Boo fricken hoo, butch up sally and take a page out of Bono's book, pretty boy. As soon as you actually stand for something and quite your whining, I'll give you some credit.
Second stanza, I would love to bring every troop home and never have to deploy anyone ever, ever again. Yeah and I wish the Santa would have delivered me 5 million dollars, maybe the Easter bunny will bring it. Get real buddy, there are people who want to bomb us, attack our country and wouldn't give a second thought about lopping your stringy haired head off in the name of their cause. (you're an infidel too, even though all you do is play the guitar and sing silly songs) I thank God everyday that there are incredibly couragous people willing to give their lives for this country. Oh and THEY have earned my respect by actually standing for something (instead of just singing about it, oh wait, you're just whining about it) If everyone felt like you did during WWII, the world would be a very different place now. Oh and about the whole news bit, I would bet we have the greatest amount of free press/speech than anywhere in the world. Now am I naive enough to believe everything on the news, hell no, but I don't whine about the press being "owned". Go to North Korea and then come back and tell me about it.
I am frightened when I think about your generation "ruling" the population, except for the fact that by that point you will have no doubt moderated somewhat as well, just like I did. Well maybe not you John Mayer, seeing as you are in the "bubble" of celebrity, perhaps you will take the lead of Bono and actually use your fame for some actual good. Notice he is not whining about "the fight isn't fair!!" " You aren't respecting me and listening to me *stamping feet*" You gotta use the system to your advantage, the system will not bend to you.
I'm so glad Dr. Martin Luther King never felt like you do, what would have happened to the civil rights movement if he had just "Waited, waited for the world to change."
Pathetic. Grow up, this country has the greatest opportunites available to change the world around you, and you complain about feeling disenfranchised. You want to make an impact Mr. Mayer? Put down your little guitar and mentor a child, work at a food pantry, start an organization, hell, just collect some damn canned food. It would be more than what your doing with your song. I am so disgusted with your defeated attitude. Bleh, no double bleh to you!!
-Fox
Sunday, January 07, 2007
Oh John Mayer, why must you torture me so?
Posted by redfox1218 at 11:58 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Preach on, Fox. Preach on. I'm with ya.
Moments of brilliance in this post... Amen, sistah!
Post a Comment