Ok well the title of this post is a bit misleading. I know full well where to find God, I have no issue with that. What I'm really alluding to with that title is what church or rather, which denomination do I want to be?
You see, I was raised Catholic, went to church every Sunday, though did not have the excitment of a Catholic school education. Dissapointing I know. but since then I've tried out a couple of other things, but came back around to Catholic because actually, I had come to love my Catholic upbringing. Well I met dh and he's Lutheran, though has several family members who are catholic, I figured, "ha, he's open to converting" Not necessarily cause I think I'm right, but because I wanted to raise my kids/family Catholic too. Well I already knew that Lutheran was kind of Catholic lite, so no biggie.
Well fast forward to now. We've had long discussion about whether each of us would convert to the other, and basically neither of us would ever make the other convert if htey didn't want to, and well it seems that neither of us really wants to leave behind the faith they grew up with. So for now, I call myself a Luthalic. We alternate Sunday's one at one church the other at the other church. No problems really, except when we have kids (hopefully soon) we both agree we should pick one and worship together as a family. We just can't decide which one.
The event that prompts this post was this past Sunday (after a long hiatus from church simply because we've been lazy, oh yeah and I was kinda upset with God) we went to the Lutheran church. It never ceases to amaze me how incredibly friendly the people are at that church. People don't hesistate to stop and introduce themselves if they don't know you, they are always welcoming, and always have a kind word for you. The Pastor is incredible, one of the nicest and most genuine people I've ever met. The church although fairly small in number of parishioners is huge on activities. They have a very active Sunday school for all ages, they have active youth programs, and best of all an active young singles/families group. These (everyone) people always have some kind of service project going on, if its not habitat for humanity, its the food bank, or simply gathering donations for shelters, or rebuilding a deck for a local elementary school. These people really and truly talk and act on the idea of serving your fellow man is serving God. They don't just talk it, they walk it.
So whats the problem you ask? Well, in my heart of hearts, I think the Lutheran church is where we need to be. Where I feel the people are truly trying to bring God into their everyday lives and then giving back to the lives of others. It's not that I don't think there aren't people in the Catholic community doing the same, I know for a fact there are. but to be honest with you, I don't ever get the same feeling at the catholic church as I do the lutheran one. but I am still having a very hard time with the idea of leaving the Catholic church. I know that if I did, it would tear a little piece out of my heart. It seems silly, its the same God and the same Jesus, but its still a part of me too.
I still just don't know what to do.
Thursday, April 26, 2007
So where can I find God?
Posted by redfox1218 at 11:58 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment