Hello everyone,
I realize my last post was kind of a heavy one, I just needed to get that out of my head before it got all fuzzy like most moments of illumination.
Any-hoo.... as the title of this post implies, today is the day of academic rebirth, the first day of the new fall semester. The time of year when the leaves are turning red, orange and yellow (ok somewhere the leaves might be starting to turn, even if not here) and theres a slight nip in the air. oh wait thats just the door opening and a blast of airconditioned air rushing out to slightly cool the 90% humidity that surrounds me. Anyway, today is the first day of classes and since our college can't get rooms scheduled until 3 days before classes start, most students do not have their classrooms on their class schedules, and as we'll see below, most students don't have their class schedules at all. This leads to alot of confusion on Class Day 1 so we so lovingly have provided various help/information tables on campus. I had my shift at peak class time this morning. 8:30-10:00 am. Now you must remember fall semester also means we have lots of new little students running to campus expecting that this will simply be 13th grade. *sigh* They walk up to the table and tell you their name. Thats all just their name. They are expecting that you will hand them a schedule. Silly students, thats just for highschool!
Anyway, most of them just need a classroom and its all ok. Then again, there are these students:
Me: (sitting at info table) Hi! Can I help you?
Her: (just rolled out of bed looking girl) Do you know what class I’m supposed to be in right now?
Me: (with incredulous look) Um, no… do you have a schedule with you? I can help you find a room.
Her: No
Me: What class do you have right now?
Her: That’s what I don’t know.
Me: You’ll need to print out a schedule from your online account, or registration can print one for you. *thinking to myself *: and the registrars line is really long and from the looks of it, you deserve it.
Her: yeah, ok.
Ah, open enrollment I love it. *cheesy Don Pardo voice* "Can you tie your shoe? Can you drive to our campus? Can you buy a cheeseburger at a drive-through? If you answered yes to any of these questions you too can go to college! And for those of you who can't find your way out of a paper bag we have a developmental class just for you! Enroll today!"
I really do love my job. :) Check for more stories from "The River of Knowledge" coming soon! (I haven't even met my new students yet!)
Fox.
Monday, August 27, 2007
And so the cycle begins anew...
Posted by redfox1218 at 10:31 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment