I definitely think we try to repair damage from our relationships with our parents through our children. Perhaps we promise to parent different than our parents did. Or tell them I love you more cause they didn't tell us enough, be more overtly affectionate if we didn't feel hugged enough. Perhaps it's be more or less permissive than our parents were. Whatever the issue, we try to mend our rips and tears, and holes and scrapes by not ripping and tearing the same seams and holes that we felt our parents did.
I guess that I knew would happen. but I guess I didn't realize that the same thing would happen when you picked someone to marry. I find it incredible just how we can find the actual person who can push our buttons like our parents did. You find yourself possibly saying the things you wixh you could have said years ago. Or responding in your mind with "yeah whatever dad!"
I said I would never marry a man like my father (I love him very much, but I wouldn't necessarily want to marry him). In some ways I didn't, but in some very particular ways I did. Hmmm. How? I thought I had looked out for that.
I guess you can't outsmart human nature. We all fall prey to it one way or another.
Hmmm.
Friday, April 10, 2009
fixing things
Posted by redfox1218 at 10:32 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment