CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, July 15, 2006

I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues.

Ok I know, its been a long time gone. Sorry all, just buys with school, scrap stuff and um, ok, nothing else.

The lot next door to our townhome was a vacant lot, well vacant except for large towering trees. Large trees in the middle of the city. It was a treasure to look out and see refreshing green leaves and pine needles, brown bark and dappled sunlight through my window. I often would stop doing work at the computer and look out the window and see the happy living trees swaying in the breeze.

Now they are gone.

Someone has bought the lot, (mind you, it was overgrown with vegetation and was bcoming a dump site, so, if you just looked up, it was beautiful, if you actually looked into the lot, um, not so beautiful. They are putting up more town homes. They began cutting and pulling the trees down a couple of days ago.

It's made me sad to see the tall trees go, the sky seems too bright now, it looks hotter out the window now. I cried when they pulled down the big oak tree. I felt the ground tremble as the tall pines crashed to the floor. I told the trees thank you for all the years of shade and air cleaning they had provided. I worry for the birds and squirrels that flew and scampered around that lot and came to visit our yard often. DH and I sat at our kitchen table and had our last breakfast looking at the trees outside the window.

I am truly truly sad and somewhat angry to see them go.

At the same time I feel like a ginormous hypocrite. Where my home stands, I'm certain trees stood before. I drive my car, I heat and cool my home, I like the comforts modern life gives us. But I still feel the pull of the trees. Though I remember I am a conservationist, not a preservationist, we can use resources, but must use them wisely. I need to use them more wisely than we are now, I mean personally.

I've always had an interesting relationship with trees. I feel about them like I would feel about my ancestors. Trees are like historians, they stand steadfast watching history, documenting change, always quietly, strongly, standing witness to what goes on around them. Someday I will see the Redwoods and Sequoias, I know I will weep to stand in the presence of such majesty, of such beauty, such history, such holiness. I will be entering the most beautiful temple that was truly built by the hand of God. Thats how I feel about trees.

And now, they're gone. Goodbye trees, I'm so so sorry.

0 comments: